CHOPPER (CONTINENTAL CHPQ)
STEER-XL BLACK WAXON
- Chip jacket with box quilt top-stitching + mandarin collar
- Bi-Swing action back for greater movement
- Strengthened kidney panel
- Double buckle side-adjusters
- Leather lined collar
- Quilted leather detail in elbows shoulder and yoke
- Slant front zipper
- Brass hardware
- 1 Interior lining open-top wallet pocket
- Leather-lined inside gun pocket
- Rayon-lined sleeves for easy wear comfort
- Red quilt lining
- 2 Zip-close exterior hand pockets
- Riveted leather pull-tabs on zipper
- Windtight low-bulk zip close sleeves
- Black capped snaps with brass socket stud and post
- Two-way main zipper for comfort
Warning: Last items in stock!
The distinctive quilting on the shoulder and elbow areas reflects the heritage of this design from the Pacific Northwest. Police departments in Washington and Oregon added this feature for extra protection to the original California Highway Patrol design favored in Sacramento.
We use a double layer of military-derived ballistic nylon spacer fabric under the quilted area - this resists compression, giving additional padding and energy absorption. It offers little resistance to airflow, so when the front lapels are opened cooling air flows through the quilted areas, making this jacket more comfortable in warm weather. When the front is zipped up, and the lapels are closed, the quilted areas become an insulating dead air space which keeps the rider warmer in winter. Performance and protection in one streamlined package.
The cut of the Chopper is very much a period piece. During WW2 Patton, Bradley, Eisenhower and their officers wore waist length Tanker Jackets - a look which became very popular after the Allied Victory.
After WW2 Highway Patrol Departments in the Western states evolved an unmistakable style for their motor patrols. Practical considerations drove these developments. Zippered fronts had become more common instead of buttons and hooks. The front was shortened so contact with the thighs would not push the jacket up into the rider's throat. A moderately-dipped back was added to support the kidney area and help seal out the wind. To keep the freedom of a full-blouson upper-torso cut with wind-tight snug waist, we added traditional double side-buckles of polished solid brass.
Details are important, so is the leather. The Chopper is made from Vanson XL X150 leather - a reproduction of the leathers made in the '40s. Hand waxed, hand finished, milled and plated just as in the distant past. Vanson XL Leather is the Real Deal when it comes to bringing good things to life, again.
So when you hold a Chopper in your hands you can feel the resonance of Patton and his generals, enjoy the beauty of the details and the cut, and sense the pride of the CHP; with the unparalleled quality and craftsmanship that can only be a Vanson. Simple lines, functional details, long-lasting durability inside and out.
- Size MED-(SZ 40 Chest measures 45.5 = CONTINENTAL FIT (5.5 of chest ease)
- Back length is 27.25 in. Front 21.5 Sleeves 34.5 in. Nape of neck to Wrist.
- Jacket is meant to cover the beltline - Back waistband is dipped to cover
- the lower back and beltline. Bottom circumference sweep with the lacing
- tight is 39 inches
- Download the Fit Chart
We are currently compiling our list of testimonials. We should have these posted soon.